Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Baby Led Weaning

Have you ever heard of baby led weaning? I hadn’t until a couple of months ago. It is a method of introducing solid foods to babies. It comes from the book, Baby Led Weaning by Gill Rapley and Tacey Murkett. Basically, it says that there is no need to start with pureed baby food. With this method you go straight to soft table foods. I haven’t read the book, but I did read quite a bit (pages and pages) of it off the preview on Amazon.com. Here is some of what the book says.

- Eating table foods develops chewing skills, manual dexterity, and eye-hand coordination.

- By feeding himself, he will only eat what he needs and is less likely to be overfed by coercing more bites in

- The book promotes waiting to introduce solids until six months. This is the same as the guideline given by the World Health Organization (WHO).

-Also promotes Breastmilk (or formula) as primary source of nutrients for first year b/c solids are less nutrient dense.

-Babies are programmed to explore with their hands and mouths. Why not with food too?

The book claims that skipping pureed food will actually make your child a better, more adventurous eater because they go at their own pace and are allowed to explore food on their own. (As opposed to my picking out what he will eat and having it shoved in by a spoon) Now again I didn’t read the entire book, but really how can you prove that?

So when I heard about this concept, I didn’t think too much about it. With Will and Ben we transitioned to table foods pretty quickly anyway and starting with pureed foods work just fine for us. But then I tried to feed Eli pureed food …




As you can see it was not easy. He insists on putting the spoon in his mouth on his own.



So I remembered this BLW concept. I thought to myself … well if he wants to do it himself, then why not give him some soft table foods to try? The results?



LOL! To be fair, he actually chewed up a bite of carrot before this picture, so I have no idea why he reacted to the second bite this way. I think we will continue with both pureed food and table foods.

1 comment:

  1. Love the pictures of Eli eating. Hope he gets more in his mouth than what it looks like.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...