Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Monday Meals - Tuesday Edition

We were very busy yesterday with Valentine's activities, so I forgot to post a recipe.

Today's recipe is the very first completely foreign-to-me meal I ever made for our family. It wasn't something that I ate as a child or tried at a friend's house and asked for the recipe. I first made this meal in our little house at Laughin AFB. We liked it so much that I even made them for one of the single guys in James' class that we envited over for dinner!

This recipe came from the Kraft Foods website. I saw it in a email they sent me. I used to get lots of emails from Kraft Foods. But for some reason I don't get them anymore. *insert shoulder shrugging smiley* When I log into my account on their site, it shows that I am signed up to get emails but none come. Anyone still get emails from them?

Anyway, without further ado. Chicken and Corn Quesadillas

1/2 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into thin strips
2 tsp. chili powder
2 cups frozen corn, thawed, drained
1/2 cup Salsa
8 flour tortillas (7 to 8 inch)
1 cup Mexican Style Shredded Cheese, divided

PREHEAT broiler. Spray large nonstick skillet with cooking spray. Heat on medium heat. Add chicken and chili powder; cook and stir 2 minutes. Add corn and 2 Tbsp. of the salsa; cook and stir 3 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and sauce is thickened.

SPRAY tops of 4 of the tortillas with cooking spray. Place, sprayed sides down, on large foil-covered baking sheet. Sprinkle with half of the cheese; top with chicken mixture, remaining cheese and remaining tortillas. Spray tops of tortillas with cooking spray.

BROIL, 4 to 5 inches from heat, 3 minutes or until golden brown. Turn quesadillas over with large spatula; continue broiling an additional 3 minutes or until second side is golden brown and cheese is melted. Cut each into 4 wedges. Serve with the remaining salsa.

At our first two homes the broiler was crazy hot and burned everything I put under it in about 1 minute (It was in the drawer under the stove, so I couldn't move stuff farther away. This house is different). So when I make this, I turn the oven up as high as it will go and cook them until the tops start getting crunchy and a start browning. Then I flip them over. We also use 10 tortillas and 2 cups of cheese (the entire bag if you get the smaller size). I didn't realize that isn't what the original recipe says until I got this post ready! Like the Manicotti it was a lot of work the first time I made it, but after I make it pretty quickly now.

2 comments:

  1. I get e-mails from Kraft...they always sound good, but unfortunately they aren't low-calorie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm ... maybe I will email them and find out why I'm not getting any.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...