Monday, January 28, 2013

Hiking Mt. Baldy

This day we took the family to hike Mt. Baldy.  Now, there are several websites that list hikes and give ratings on the difficulty of the hike.  This hike is listed as easy.  We soon discovered that is was anything but easy!  Although it is only a mile each way, it quickly gets very steep and rocky.  Even though it was the middle of the summer, there were lingering patches of snow and the melting snow made it muddy as well.  Of course, James and I know lots of people who have hiked Mt. Baldy and not one of them mentioned how hard of a hike it was until after we hiked it and said it was hard.  Then EVERYONE said it was pretty hard!
 
The trail starts at the end of Skyline Drive.  So, this is the view from the bottom of the trail.
 

Uncle Blake with Lucy.  Ready to start!

James with Eli.  I started off with Eli on my back, but once it started to get steep I realized I would not be able to make it to the top with an extra 30 pounds on my back!

Ben and Will seemed to be the only ones who didn't notice how difficult the hike was.  They zipped right up!  (Well, them and the one group of really fit ladies with a three legged dog that blew past us and made us all feel really weak!)

Getting close to the top!

The boys on the top of the mountain!

Eli and Mommy at the top!  We didn't think we would all make it to the top, but everyone did!  My camera battery died, so my last few pictures were taken with my cell phone.  (Turned out pretty good too!).  Luckily, after talking to some fellow hikers we got directions for the back path that was twice as long, but much easier.  We used that to get back down and it was really nice to see a different path.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...